Mystery...Romance...Sci Fi...Humor... The joy of writing fiction - meeting brand new people in places that don't yet exist.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Slipping Out of My Groove - In A Good Way

As a reader, I tend to get into - not a rut exactly - more of a groove.  I'll settle on an author or at least a genre and read book after book.  This is especially true when I discover an author/series that's already well established and I can read them back to back...like a chain smoker. 

So it surprised me a little when I looked back over the last few books I've read and realized my groove had become rather eclectic.  Going backward, I just finished LAST DAYS OF SUMMER by Steve Kluger - a wonderful story set just before WW II about the relationship between a remarkable Jewish youth and the baseball star who befriends him. This story is told entirely in the form of letters, newspaper clippings and other printed material and took me from laughter to tears. 

Before that, I read ROOM by Emma Donoghue - a truly gripping story seen through the eyes of a five year old boy who has lived his entire life in a single room, the room where his mother has been held prisonor for seven years.  Then there was TOUCH OF FIRE by Maria Zannini  - a futuristic (as in, 1200 years in the future), paranornal, steamy romance I devoured in one day.  Before Maria, there was Heather Webber's  WEEDING OUT TROUBLE - the last of the Nina Quinn series, a delightful light-hearted mystery.  And finally, one of my usual reads, a good cop mystery - THE SURGEON by Tess Gerritsen.

So how did this happen?  Well, I'll admit a couple were lent to me with orders, "You have got to read this."  But I also have to credit my venture into blogging.  Reading the blogs of both authors and readers has led me to look around a bit more when selecting my next book.  In fact, my TBR pile is probably larger and more varied right now than it's been in decades.

How about you?  Has blogging and/or following others' blogs changed your reading habits?  What are you reading now you might not have read before?

Unwriting progress: From the original 150,000 words down to 109,874 (If I don't manage to get some writing done before my next post, I'm going to quietly leave this part off.)

I'm currently enjoying: THE WEIGHT OF SILENCE by Heather Gudenkauf.

Groaner of the Day: (I didn't get much response on my last one but I'll try one more.)  Evidence has been found that William Tell and his family were avid bowlers. Unfortunately, all the Swiss league records were destroyed in a fire, and so we'll never know for whom the Tells bowled.

Countdown to retirement and writing full time: 25 work days to go.

6 comments:

Dru said...

I'm still a mystery reader, but reading blogs have exposed to romance books and women's fiction.

Recently I read my first romantic sci-fi book and I liked it. Would I read more, maybe. I do have Touch of Fire in my TBR pile.

Good luck with your writing.

LOL at you groaner of the day.

Mason Canyon said...

Blogging has definitely expanded my reading into genres that I never had before. I think that is one that is wonderful about it. Before if a book was listed under a certain genre I wouldn't even glance at it. Now I know that even though it's listed in that genre, there's probably more to it than that.

Like the Groaner of the Day.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Linda Leszczuk said...

Dru - I'm still a mystery reader at heart but I've enjoyed stepping out a little. You might want to look for Last Days of Summer. I have a feeling you'd like it.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Mason - I still head for the mystery aisles in the bookstore but I'll also look for certain titles/authors in other areas.

Oh, and I'm glad you both liked today's groaner.

Maria Zannini said...

I read widely in all genres (with a couple of exceptions), but my comfort reads are historical romance.

But visiting blogs have introduced me to many different authors and writing styles.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Maria - I was in a historical romance groove many years back (started by the Flame and the Flower by Kathleen Woodiwiss) and still enjoy one occasionally.

But I'm surprised your comfort reads aren't closer to what you write (or visa versa). Do you read many futuristic/fantasy romances?