Mystery...Romance...Sci Fi...Humor... The joy of writing fiction - meeting brand new people in places that don't yet exist.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Blog Hopping on a Monday Morning

Well, I didn't manage a Monday morning post.  I meant to.  I'm trying to get back on a set M-W-F schedule.  But I made the mistake of doing my blog reading first and there were so many good ones this morning, I just ran out of time (had to go to work).  So instead, I'm just going to share some highlights with you. 

I learned a new phrase on Mystery Writing is Murder - Shiny New Idea Syndrome (SNIS).   You know, when that great new story idea or character pops into your head while you're trying to work on something else.  Happens to me all the time so it's nice to have a name for it.  Also fun to read how other writers deal with it.

On Thoughts in Progress, I read an interview with author Monica Brinkman, who ran into some of the same "don't do this" advice that brought my WIP to a standstill last summer.  Unlike me, Monica decided to push ahead and do things her way.  Her novel is getting great reviews and sales are going well. Oh, and she had at least one comment from an author who loved multiple POV novels.  Argh!
 
If Sci Fi is your thing, you'd enjoy following Stephen Tremp from his own Breakthrough Blogs over to Alex J Cavanaugh's blog for some great info on Writing Near-Future Science Fiction

On Jane's Ride, there was a great discussion on NaNoWriMo.  But Jane's response to my comment was addressed to "Lizzie".  That's the second time in a week I've been turned into a "Liz".  I guess the z's in Leszczuk really throw people.  However, Jane popped over and left a comment on my Friday post so she can call me anything she wants. {grin}
 
There's a to-die-for contest on Chatterbox Chitchat where Lynnette Labelle is offering four free on line query critiques.  But I shouldn't be telling people about this one - it will cut my chances of winning.
 
And over on  A Novice Novelist, Maria Zaninni's guest interview was shanghied by her husband Greg. Poor Maria, that sort of thing keeps happening to her. Just last week, while a guest on  Marianne Atkins  blog, Maria's interview was taken over by her dogs, Tank and Iko.

Speaking of Maria, I'm pleased to report that Mistress of the Stone has moved into the second round in the Kensington Brava contest.  Let's give Maria our support by voting for Mistress of the Stone in this second round.

So that's why I didn't post this morning.  But I hope this makes up for it.  If these blogs aren't on your regular list, you might want to check them out.

Countdown to retirement and writing full time: 21 work days to go.

I'm currently enjoying: INDULGENCE IN DEATH by JD Robb (Says a lot about my busy weekend that I haven't finished this one.)

Groaner of the Day: A marine biologist developed a race of genetically engineered dolphins that could live forever if they were fed a steady diet of seagulls. One day, his supply of the birds ran out so he had to go out and trap some more. On the way back, he spied two lions asleep on the road. Afraid to wake them, he gingerly stepped over them. Immediately, he was arrested and charged with... transporting gulls across sedate lions for immortal porpoises.  (I'm sorry, I can't help myself!)

13 comments:

Stacy McKitrick said...

Where do you come up with those "Groaners"? They're almost as bad as some of the puns on Pearls & Swine (I LOVE that strip!).

Thanks for stopping by on my blog. Sometimes I wonder if anyone reads it at all.

Mason Canyon said...

Enjoyed the highlights and thanks for including Monica Brinkman's post from Thoughts in Progress. I think you too will make great strides with your writing.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Maria Zannini said...

Have you considered getting a nickname? LOL. (I don't feel so all alone now.)

Thanks for the shout out! I am excited about making it to the next round. I know it will only get harder from here on out so I'm grateful for any help I can get.

Ref: groaners
Where do you find these things!

Linda Leszczuk said...

Stacy - I know. It's hard when you're trying to build a following. Sometimes I feel like Charlie Brown looking into the mailbox on Valentine's Day.

I've gotten most of the groaners via e-mail but I'd better switch to something else soon. Maria Zaninni (Hi Maria!) was talking about hiring a hit squad.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Thanks, Mason. And thanks for always leaving me a comment.

http://www.samposey.com/ said...

Linda, that joke was so bad, it was funny. Thanks for the updates, and I'm seriously jealous of your countdown to retirement. I have only 4,384 days left.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Maria - I always wanted a nickname as a kid because Linda was a really popular name back then and there were at least three of us in every class. But no one ever gave me one.

And you're welcome for the shout out.

OH MY LORD - I just realized I mis-typed Zannini. Twice! In my post and in my comment to Stacy. Okay, that cancels out you calling my Liz. {grin} At least I got the voting link right.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Shellie - Thanks for coming by. I enjoyed your blog post today.

That's a serious retirement countdown you've got there. I like a person who plans ahead. Things just sort of sneak up on me.

Maria Zannini said...

Linda, in that case, I'm in worse shape than I thought. I never noticed the misspelling. LOL! Fine editor I am.

Ref: groaners
Yeah, remember the hit squad. With a name like Zannini, you can be sure I know people. :)

Linda Leszczuk said...

Maria - That's funny! Have to remember that if I'm ever looking for a proofreader.

Okay, no more groaners. At least for a while. Now what shall I use to replace them? Hmmmmmm....

Dru said...

I like the groaners

Linda Leszczuk said...

Dru - will you protect me from Maria's hit squad?

Dru said...

We'll just have to put up a blockade.