Mystery...Romance...Sci Fi...Humor... The joy of writing fiction - meeting brand new people in places that don't yet exist.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Underwater

To my friends and faithful followers, my apologies.  At the start of 2011, I promised to faithfully post to this blog every M-W-F.  Today you get, not a true post, but a quick explanation.

My son had a bit of a disaster on Sunday, his sump pump failed (in the middle of widespread flooding) and his beatiful finished basement was underwater.  I spend most of Sunday bailing like mad, trying to stay ahead of the water while father and son tried to get a new pump installed.  The pump is in and the water is out but now we're in recovery/salvage mode.  So I'm spending all my time at his place and all my writing is on hold.

Hopefully, things will be better and I'll be back on Friday.  Think dry thoughts for us.

13 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Oh, Linda. That's awful!!

I hope insurance will cover the remodel. I'm so sorry for your son and his family.

Hope you guys dry out soon.

Dru said...

Sorry to hear this. I hope the insurance will help.

Dru said...

Darn machine froze.

Mason Canyon said...

So sorry to hear about your son's basement. Know you'll have your hands full for awhile. Sending dry thoughts. Take care and don't over do it.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Stacy McKitrick said...

Been there - Done that! And we had just installed carpet. Decided not to replace it, just in case.

Losing a sump pump is no fun, that's for sure!

Hope they didn't lose too much. I'm sure they appreciated your help, too!

Karin said...

Oh Man! I knew you guys were getting lots of rain but had no idea things were that bad. Hope you dry out soon. I remember a night when I was a kid when Dad woke us all up to rescue things from the finished basement when we found out a newly installed toilet did not have a back-up prevention valve. It was yucky to say the least. Hope your water was from storm drains!

Karin

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

What happened there over the weekend is now here in Canton. This has been one crazy winter.
Take care and dry out.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Maria - Thanks. Still waiting for word on the insurance.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Thanks, Dru. And I've had that multiple summit thing happen to me a bunch of times. Frustrating, huh?

Linda Leszczuk said...

Mason - Thanks for the dry thoughts.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Stacy - Well, at least the carpet wasn't brand new. So far the carpet and lower third of the drywall is gone. And then there's the "contents".

Linda Leszczuk said...

Karin - with a failed sump pump it's mostly ground water, which is less yucky than a backed up sewer (had that once) but still requires everything that got wet to be thoroughly washed and dried, if not pitched. Could be worse, the counties just north of here have real flooding - water coming in the front door kind.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Mary - We need to be thinking about an arc. Raining here again all yesterday and today. As you said - one crazy winter.