Mystery...Romance...Sci Fi...Humor... The joy of writing fiction - meeting brand new people in places that don't yet exist.

Friday, September 24, 2010

O Hell, Is It Friday Already?

Oh, hell!  It's time for a Friday blog.  Friday always sneaks up on me because my grandson spends the night on Thursdays (how great is that?) so my evening is focused on him.

He had a tough homework assignment tomight. A sudoku puzzle using nine vocabulary words instead of numbers.  He asked for my help but I got stumped, too.  Then I came up with the bright idea of numbering the words, taking a fresh piece of paper and starting over using just the numbers.  Solved it that way.  Why is it easier to work a suduko with numbers instead of words?

I got this picture in an e-mail yesterday.  Cracked me up.



 
Got some good news at the vet this morning.  Based on Chance's chest x-ray, the vet revised his "how long does he have?" estimate from six months to a year.  And Brandi will be having surgery on Monday - but not to remove her eye.  Since it's lasted this long, they're going to try a surgical repair to save it.  Keep your fingers crossed for her.
 
My youngest granddaughter will turn nine tomorrow.  Hot item on her wish list...silly bands.  Can someone explain the attraction here?  These are rubber bands that the kids wear on their wrist that happen to go back into some shape when they take them off.  They're got sports shapes and animal shapes and stars and whatever.  And the kids are crazy about them.  Seriously.  I don't get it.
 
Really hoping I can work in some writing time this weekend.  I've got a re-write idea percolating and I need a chunk of time to play with it.

Friday....  I sure was planning to get a lot more stuff done this week.  Oh well.
 
I want to stick a serious note in here to my small band of followers.  I'm going to do my best to keep up with my blog and to read and comment on yours, but if I fall off a bit, please stay with me.  We moved my dear mum-in-law to a hospice facility this week and I'm dividing most of my time between work and being with her. 

Unwriting progress: From the original 150,000 words down to 111,618. (Sadly, unchanged from Wednesday but it should be better on Monday.)

I'm currently enjoying: Weeding Out Trouble by Heather Webber (Thought I'd get to finish it tonight but that dang suduko got in the way.  And, yup, it's still overdue at the library.) 

Quote of the day: Affliction comes to us, not to make us sad but sober; not to make us sorry but wise.  -  H. G. Wells


 

10 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

The photo is a riot. I'm going to have to send it to my husband.

I hope your stress levels will be more manageable soon. It's tough to have so much on your shoulders at one time.

Hang in there, hon. It'll get better.

Dru said...

{{{Linda}}}

You have a lot on your plate. Hope everything works out and please take care of yourself as well.

Anonymous said...

E 'vero! L'idea di un bene, sono d'accordo con lei.
Condivido pienamente il suo punto di vista. Si tratta di qualcosa di diverso e l'idea di mantenere.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Maria -

Yeah, that photo was a "gotta share". Glad you liked it.

It's odd, but I'm not feeling overly stressed right now. Just too pressed for time. All the difficult decisions have been made. Now it's just a better of making her as comfortable as possible for the remaining weeks. Of course, this is how I feel this morning, Lord knows where I'll be tomorrow.

Thanks for staying with me.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Dru,

Thanks. I'm holding up okay. Just wish there was more time. In every sense of the phrase.

Thanks for your support.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Okay - I know Blogger has a translator function. Can anyone tell me how to find it?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder. I need to take books back to the library. Those twenty five cent fines really add up after a while. Quarters I could be using to put in expired meters so people won't get a $300 parking ticket.

Stephen Tremp

Linda Leszczuk said...

$300 for a parking ticket?!?! OUCH! I love that you feed expired meters for people. Random acts of kindness change the world.

Mary Curry said...

Hi Linda,
I wish you continued peace of mind re your mum-in-law. I'll keep her in my prayers.

My class was wild for silly bandz last year. I actually banned them from my class. You tell me, how was I supposed to mediate an argument when one student complained that his yellow guitar had been stolen by another boy, but the other boy claimed he had a yellow one too? Um... sorry, they all look exactly alike!

Linda Leszczuk said...

Mary,

Thank you. All prayers gratefully accepted.

I didn't think of what a pain those bandz would be in a classroom. Can't blame you for banning them. The craze still seems to the going on around here.

Ah well, I guess it's not the craziest craze to make the rounds.